Visit Joyce and join the fun!
1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014-
selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, ____on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon, and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankrupt and Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
I'd like to see the phrase Mr. Mom banished from everyday speech. It contradicts itself. If a man is home caring for his children it doesn't make him a Mom. He is still a Dad. While there are many men who do a wonderful job raising their children it is not the same thing as a mother, even if you add a Mr. to it. I think it is another attempt to take away from the high and noble calling of being a mother.
2. What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year?
The unfinished project that comes to mind is the quilt that is hidden somewhere at the bottom of my linen closet. I started it before I was married (over 12 years ago) and never finished it. The layers are all pinned together and the quilting just needs to be finished. I have thought of paying someone to finish it but I think I would rather wait and be able to say I did it all by myself!
3. When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What's your favorite soup?
It's been a while, actually I can't remember exactly when. I'm sure it was homemade chicken soup which was made because someone wasn't feeling well. My favorite is chicken noodle soup but now I just have it without the noodles since I am avoiding gluten.
4. Snowed in, snowed under, snow job...which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking.
I'd say snowed in. We did have nine inches of snow last week but that wasn't enough to snow us in. The temperature the past couple of days has been in the single digits and that makes me want to stay in. I am feeling snowed in since my husband started a new job today and I am home without a car. I'm praying for the Lord's provision of another car soon.
One of the funniest movies I can think of is Buddy the Elf. I'm not much of a movie watcher but that one cracks me up!
6. In general, would you say you're clumsy?
I don't think I am but once in a while I do something like walk into a piece of furniture when I come around a corner.
7. Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935. Are you an Elvis fan? What's your favorite Elvis tune? If that's too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least? Click here for a list of his songs.
I can't say there is an Elvis song that I don't like, but Suspicious Minds is my favorite. My niece received a Karaoke machine for Christmas and I had a blast singing that one!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I know it is January 8th but I am still enjoying my Christmas decorations. I finally took down my kitchen decorations yesterday but my living room is still decorated. Our tree is in such good shape still I think I'll leave it up a while longer. We bought it at Costco this year and the needles are not falling off yet. I love sitting by the light of the Christmas tree :) I'm not ready to change my blog background yet either ;)
Happy New Year!