Visit Joyce and join the fun!
1. Share one way you think the world has changed for the better since you were a kid?
I think there are more humanitarian efforts today than there were when I was a kid. It seems to me there are a lot of good causes to donate to or volunteer for. Maybe it is because we are more aware of the problems that exist because of modern technology, but it still is nice to see such a concern for others.
2. How 'bout one way it's changed for the worse?
Very simply I'd say the breakdown of the family.
3. Starlight, starfish, starling, Starbucks...your favorite 'star'?
If I had to pick one of the four given I'd choose starfish. How fun it is to find a starfish in the ocean. I remember doing that as a kid. Have you ever heard the Starfish Poem? It's cute.
One day an old man was walking down the beach just before dawn. In the distance he saw a young man picking up stranded starfish and throwing them back into the sea. As the old man approached the young man, he asked, "Why do you spend so much energy doing what seems to be a waste of time?" The young man explained that the stranded starfish would die if left in the morning sun. The old man exclaimed, "But there must be thousands of starfish. How can your efforts make any difference?" The young man looked down at the starfish in his hand and as he threw it to safety in the sea, he said," It makes a difference to this one!"
If I can choose another it would be starfruit. I haven't had one in many years but I remember as a teenager working in a fruit and vegetable market that sold them. I learned about a lot of not so common foods that way ;)
4. Name a song that's overplayed, but you love it anyway.
"Home" by Phillip Phillips.
5. When did you last have home made ice cream? Your latest favorite flavor?
Since I am now dairy-free it's been a couple of years. My favorite flavor is mint chocolate chip. My second favorite is maple walnut. I'm going to have to figure out how to make it using coconut milk and my ice cream maker.
6. What do you think is the best way to inspire or motivate people?
By being a good example.
7. When was the last time you were without power?
Thankfully we only lost cable during Sandy. Many in our neighborhood were without power including my elderly in-laws. We did lose power a couple of years ago during a snowstorm but it wasn't for long.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Have a great rest of the week :)